Author: Jessica Kaputa, CISA, Planning, Training, and Exercises Committee Federal Lead
Relationships and coordination are key to the Statewide Interoperability Coordinator (SWIC) position. State Training Officers (STOs) are powerful allies to ensuring communications capabilities and operations inclusion in state trainings and exercises. To support SWICs in building a longstanding partnership with their STOs, the National Council of Statewide Interoperability Coordinators (NCSWIC) created the SWIC-to-STO Engagement Guide.
NCSWIC synthesized the experience of over 20 NCSWIC members representing a broad range of SWIC/STO partnerships to create the Guide, which provides:
• High-level overview of the STO position
• Benefits of collaboration for both the SWIC and STO
• Tips for SWICs seeking to initiate a partnership with their STO
• Specific projects that SWICs have worked on (or would like to work on) with their STOs
• Best practices based on SWICs’ experiences
The Guide was written by SWICs for SWICs, and STOs who assisted in the development of this Guide confirmed its message. It is meant to be a brief primer for an emerging relationship with the STO and does not claim to be exhaustive. However, some experiences described in the guide were common and are indicated as such.