Jim Downes, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
For more than 30 years, the Project 25 (P25) suite of standards has helped ensure interoperability among public safety land mobile radio (LMR) systems from different manufacturers and profoundly enhanced interagency and interjurisdictional operations. One only has to talk with public safety personnel who routinely use P25 to get a real sense of its value to communities nationwide. A new five-and-a-half minute CISA video—” Basics of P25”—does just that. Through interviews with responders, communications managers and engineers, emergency operations managers, and Statewide Interoperability Coordinators (SWICs) from across the Nation, the video covers:
- P25’s role in public safety
- Its value in both daily operations and emergencies involving mutual aid partners and outside agencies
- Its advantages for enhancing personnel safety and operational efficiency
- Cost savings it offers communities, and
- Practical recommendations for planning and implementing a P25 radio system.
For agencies considering a P25 system, the video offers a clear, practical overview of the technology’s ever-increasing role in law enforcement, fire, and emergency medical organizations and a foundation for exploring P25 in greater detail through CISA’s and SAFECOM’s library of P25 documents.
To learn more about P25 and view the video, visit cisa.gov/safecom/technology.