Joshua Black, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), Federal Partnership for Interoperable Communications (FPIC) Federal Encryption Lead
Encryption of public safety radio traffic has taken on new importance as agencies face the challenges of a pandemic and civil unrest added to their traditional mission. While many agencies realize the importance of encryption for protecting sensitive communications, they have questions about its implementation, practical applications, and impact on interoperability. To answer these questions, the new CISA video “Encryption in Three Minutes” draws on interviews with responders, communications managers and engineers, emergency operations managers, and statewide interoperability coordinators (SWICs) from across the nation, the video covers
- Encryption’s role in public safety
- Implementing encryption while maintaining interoperability
- Choosing the best encryption algorithm
- Coordinating encryption with mutual aid partners, and
- Practical recommendations for planning and implementing land mobile radio (LMR) encryption.
For agencies considering encryption, the brief video offers insights and advice from public safety officials with firsthand experience. To learn more about encryption and view the video, visit cisa.gov/safecom/technology or email FPIC@cisa.dhs.gov.