Johnson Controls Kantech EntraPass
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Kantech, a subsidiary of Johnson Controls
- Equipment: EntraPass
- Vulnerability: Improper Input Validation
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow malicious code execution with system-level privileges.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Kantech EntraPass security management software are affected:
- Corporate Edition: All versions prior to v8.10
- Global Edition: All versions prior to v8.10
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An issue with an API may allow an attacker to upload and execute malicious code with system-level privileges.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Ireland
Joachim Kerschbaumer reported this vulnerability to Johnson Controls.
Johnson Controls recommends the following:
- Upgrade to EntraPass Version 8.10
- For users unable to upgrade, please reference the Johnson Controls Product Security Advisory for temporary workaround instructions.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.