Delta Electronics CNCSoft ScreenEditor
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity
- Vendor: Delta Industrial Automation
- Equipment: CNCSoft ScreenEditor
- Vulnerability: Out-of-bounds Read
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability may allow arbitrary code execution.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of CNCSoft ScreenEditor are affected:
- CNCSoft Versions 1.01.28 (with ScreenEditor Version 1.01.2) and prior
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product is vulnerable to an out-of-bounds read while processing project files, which may allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Taiwan
Natnael Samson (@NattiSamson) working with Trend Micro’s Zero Day Initiative reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Delta Electronics has released an updated version of CNCSoft ScreenEditor, and recommends users install update v1.01.30 on all affected systems.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. CISA also recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.