RONDS Equipment Predictive Maintenance Solution
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 8.2
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: RONDS
- Equipment: Equipment Predictive Maintenance (EPM)
- Vulnerabilities: Exposure of Sensitive Information to an Unauthorized Actor, Path Traversal
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an unauthorized user to leak login credentials and download files. In some circumstances, an unauthorized user can use login credentials to achieve remote code execution.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following version of RONDS EPM, an equipment predictive maintenance solution, is affected:
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
RONDS EPM version 1.19.5 has a vulnerability in which a function could allow unauthenticated users to leak credentials. In some circumstances, an attacker can exploit this vulnerability to execute operating system (OS) commands.
RONDS EPM version 1.19.5 does not properly validate the filename parameter, which could allow an unauthorized user to specify file paths and download files.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: China
TsungShu Chiu of CHT Security reported these vulnerabilities to CISA.
RONDS provides the software to users that purchase their products and recommends users upgrade the software to version 1.35.21.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability these vulnerabilities. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.