Below are several no-cost resources to help you take a proactive approach to protecting your organization against ransomware.
Ransomware Prevention Best Practices
Starting on page three of the Ransomware Guide, this resource contains recommendations based on operational insight from CISA and the MS-ISAC.
- Protecting Against Ransomware
- Good Security Habits
- Understanding Anti-Virus Software
- Understanding Patches and Software Updates
- Using Caution with Email Attachments
- Choosing and Protecting Passwords
- SMB Security Best Practices
- Website Security
- Rising Ransomware Threat to Operational Technology Assets
Tips and best practices for home users, organizations, and technical staff to guard against the growing ransomware threat.
Cyber Hygiene Services: CISA offers several free scanning and testing services to help organizations assess, identify and reduce their exposure to threats, including ransomware. By requesting these services, organizations of any size could find ways to reduce their risk and mitigate attack vectors.
Elections Cyber Tabletop in a Box: A self-guided resource, CISA developed the Elections Cyber Tabletop Exercise Package (commonly referred to as “tabletop in a box”) for state, local, and private sector partners. The package includes template exercise objectives, scenario, and discussion questions, as well as a collection of cybersecurity references and resources.
Malicious Domain Blocking and Reporting: This service is available for U.S. state, local, tribal, and territorial government members of the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center® and Elections Infrastructure Information Sharing and Analysis Center®, in partnership with CISA and Akamai.
- Nationwide Cybersecurity Review: This free, anonymous, annual self-assessment designed to measure gaps and capabilities of state, local, tribal and territorial governments’ cybersecurity programs. It is based on the National Institute of Standards and Technology Cybersecurity Framework and is sponsored by DHS and the Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center®.
This information provides technical and non-technical audiences, including managers, business leaders, and technical specialists with an organizational perspective and strategic overview.
- Using the CDM Agency Dashboard to Combat WannaCry Ransomware
This 15-minute video explains how a Federal Agency can use the CDM Agency dashboard to identify and mitigate system vulnerabilities that are exploited by the WannaCry Ransomware malware. The video, and corresponding transcript, demonstrates tasks that can be carried out in the CDM Agency dashboard to manage risks to agency systems and information that might be otherwise taken advantage of by this negative threat.
- Vulnerability Management Using Drupal
The 10-minute video describes how the CDM program can be used to identify and remediate cybersecurity risks through vulnerability management using the example of Drupal Security Alerts.
Incident Response Training Series
Ransomware attacks hit a new target every 14 seconds, shutting down digital operations, stealing information, and exploiting businesses, essential services, and individuals alike. “Don’t Wake Up to a Ransomware Attack” provides essential knowledge to prepare you and your organization to prevent, mitigate, and respond to the ever-growing threat of ransomware attacks. This course is specifically designed to be accessible to a non-technical audience including managers and business leaders, as well as provide an organizational perspective and strategic overview useful to technical specialists.
Follow this link for some of the most frequently asked questions about ransomware.