In response to the rise in malicious activity with ransomware attacks against K-12 educational institutions since the onset of COVID-19 and the increase in remote learning, CISA, in collaboration with the FBI, has produced a helpful fact sheet, Cyber Threats to K-12 Remote Learning Education. The fact sheet is an excellent primer for non-technical educational professionals, and includes general cybersecurity best practices, video-conferencing best practices, and a list of available resources. For additional related resources, see:
Click on the icons below to find resources designed to help individuals and K-12 educational institutions remain secure during a time of remote and hybrid learning.
Best practices for school and school district cybersecurity managers, system administrators, and other technical staff to enhance their school and/or district's security posture during distance and hybrid learning conditions.
Best practices for non-technical staff as well as parents and teachers to enhance a school's security poster during distance and hybrid learning conditions.
Tips and consideration, as well as cybersecurity best practices, to help students stay safe and to do their part in keeping their school's network secure while learning remotely.
For additional related resources, see:
- Getting Smarter About K-12 Cybersecurity
- Date: April 28, 2021
- Co-hosted by CISA, RC3, and SLTTGCC, this webinar featured speakers from industry and government on how to protect school systems from DDoS attacks, ransomware, and other cyber threats.
- CISA's Telework Guidance and Resources page.
- The STOP.THINK.CONNECT. campaign's Parent and Educator Resources page.
- *NEW* Webinar: K-12 Education Leaders’ Guide to Ransomware: Prevention, Response, and Recovery
- Co-hosted by CISA and the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA), this webinar, moderated by Kelvin Coleman, Executive Director, NCSA, features a discussion with Bridgette Walsh, CISA Acting Deputy Assistant Director, Stakeholder Engagement, and Ryan Kalember, Executive Vice President, Proofpoint, Inc. The panel focuses on the evolving K-12 ransomware threat landscape, some common attack vectors, and resources available to our schools to prevent, respond to, and recover from a ransomware incident.
- CYBER.ORG, which empowers educators to teach cyber confidently, resulting in students with the skills and passion needed to succeed in the cyber workforce.
- Schoolsafety.gov, which was created by the federal government to provide schools and districts with actionable recommendations to create a safe and supportive learning environment where students can thrive and grow.