CISA is working with the Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Defense, and other government partners to support the delivery of COVID-19 vaccinations throughout the U.S., including support to Operation Warp Speed. As part of the unified federal effort, CISA brings expertise in risk analysis and mitigation approaches, cyber and physical security, supply chain security, and critical infrastructure partnerships. CISA’s Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers list has been widely used by state and local governments to aid their prioritization decisions throughout the pandemic, and more recently CDC used the EWIC as one means to inform the CDC’s prioritization recommendations for vaccine distribution.
- Critical Infrastructure Frequently Asked Questions - COVID-19 Vaccine
- CISA developed the Physical Security for Cold Storage Locations to provide a physical security checklist for private sector entities, cold storage facility owners/operators, and state/local government officials who will participate in the handling and distribution of COVID-19 vaccine related materials (i.e., kits, PPE).
- CISA developed the Primer on Safe & Efficient Handling of Dry Ice to help cold storage facility owners and operators ensure they are safely and efficiently handling dry ice.
- CISA developed the Critical Questions and Considerations for Cold Chain, Storage, and Dry Ice Operation to inform and assist in further reducing risk to these life-saving efforts. These risks elevate the importance for the security and integrity of myriad of entities receiving, transporting, housing, and distributing COVID-19 vaccines.
- CISA recommends that Owners/Operators of Cold Storage facilities prepare for attacks targeting the cold chain, remain vigilant to alerts and activity in this space, have contingency plans in place, and know who to contact for help.
- Organizations involved in the development and distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine should take proactive measures to enhance their overall physical security posture. To achieve secure and resilient vaccine distribution, workers along the supply chain and vaccine recipients should use available resources to assess suggested mitigation methods against physical security attacks. To help meet this need, CISA created the COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Physical Security Measures infographic. This product provides a non-comprehensive list of physical security resources available to the public to help facility owners and operators enhance their physical security to protect workers and individuals.