AVEVA System Platform
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 8.1
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity
- Vendor: AVEVA
- Equipment: System Platform
- Vulnerability: Cleartext Storage of Sensitive Information in Memory
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could expose cleartext credentials for the network user account or for logged-in users to an authorized, low privilege user. The cleartext credentials would also be exposed if the user creates a diagnostic memory dump of the relevant process and saves it to a non-protected location where an unauthorized, malicious user can access it.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of AVEVA System Platform, a software management platform, are affected:
- AVEVA System Platform 2020 R2 P01
- AVEVA System Platform 2020 R2S
- AVEVA System Platform 2020
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product stores sensitive information in cleartext, which may allow access to an attacker or a low-privileged user.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
Noam Moshe of Claroty and Ilya Karpov, Evgeniy Druzhinin, and Konstantin Kondratev of Rostelecom-Solar reported this vulnerability to AVEVA.
AVEVA recommends users of affected versions upgrade to one of the versions listed below and apply the corresponding security update:
- AVEVA System Platform 2020 R2 P01 and AVEVA System Platform 2020 R2: update to AVEVA System Platform 2020 R2 SP1
- AVEVA System Platform 2020: update to AVEVA System Platform 2020 P01
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Ensure the least-privilege user principle is followed.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.