Siemens SICAM A8000
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 5.3
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SICAM A8000
- Vulnerability: Missing Authentication for Critical Function
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to access files without authentication.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Siemens products are affected:
- SICAM A8000 CP-8031: All versions prior to v4.80
- SICAM A8000 CP-8050: All versions prior to v4.80
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Affected devices do not require a user to be authenticated to access certain files. This could allow an unauthenticated attacker to download these files.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Multiple Sectors
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Steffen Robertz, Gerhard Hechenberger, and Thomas Weber of SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab reported this vulnerability to Siemens.
Siemens recommends updating the SICAM A8000 devices to v4.80 or later.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends users configure the environment according to the Siemens operational guidelines for industrial security and follow the recommendations in the product manuals.
For additional information, please refer to Siemens Security Advisory SSA-316850
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.