Measuresoft ScadaPro Server
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity
- Vendor: Measuresoft
- Equipment: ScadaPro Server
- Vulnerability: Improper Access Control
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow a local user with limited privileges to modify the service binary path and start malicious commands with SYSTEM privileges.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Measuresoft reports this vulnerability affects the following product:
- ScadaPro Server: version 6.7
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
3.2.1 IMPROPER ACCESS CONTROL CWE-284
The security descriptor of the service has inconsistent permissions, which could allow a local user with limited privileges to modify the service binary path and start malicious commands with SYSTEM privileges.
CVE-2022-3263 has been assigned to this vulnerability. A CVSS v3 base score of 7.8 has been calculated; the CVSS vector string is (AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H).
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Energy, Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Ireland
@rgod777, working with Trend Micro Zero Day Initiative, reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Measuresoft recommends the following steps to remove full access to the ORCHESTRATOR service:
- Open a command-line window (CMD) with 'run as administrator'
- Use the following command to make the permission change to the ORCHESTRATOR service: sc sdset ORCHESTRATOR D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;SU)
- As a low-level user, attempt to shut down the ORCHESTRATOR service: sc stop ORCHESTRATOR. User will be denied. It will no longer be possible to edit the configuration of the service by a low-level user.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability these vulnerabilities. Specifically, users should:
- Ensure the least-privilege user principle is followed.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely. This vulnerability has a low attack complexity.