Hitachi Energy APM Edge
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity/public exploits are available
- Vendor: Hitachi Energy
- Equipment: Lumada Asset Performance Management (APM) Edge
- Vulnerabilities: Out-of-Bounds Write and Improper Authentication
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow users to escalate privileges from a user account to root.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of APM are affected:
- Lumada APM Edge Version 1.0
- Lumada APM Edge Version 2.0
- Lumada APM Edge Version 3.0
- Lumada APM Edge Version 4.0
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product is vulnerable to a privilege escalation attack, which could allow an attacker to escalate a user account to root.
The affected product is vulnerable to a privilege escalation attack, which could allow an attacker to bypass the namespace isolation unexpectedly.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Energy
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Switzerland
Hitachi Energy reported this vulnerability to CISA.
When applicable, Hitachi Energy recommends users update to Lumada APM Edge v6.3 at the earliest convenience.
Hitachi Energy recommends the following security practices and firewall configurations to help protect a network from attacks originating outside the network:
- Physically protect process control systems from unauthorized direct access.
- Ensure process control systems have no direct connections to the internet.
- Use firewall systems to separate process control systems from other networks.
- Ensure the firewall system only has necessary ports exposed.
APM should only be used to access the internet for authorized information. Portable computers and removable storage media should be carefully scanned for viruses before connecting to a control system.
For more information, see Hitachi Energy advisory 8DBD000115.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability these vulnerabilities.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.