Keysight N8844A Data Analytics Web Service
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Keysight
- Equipment: N8844A Data Analytics Web Service
- Vulnerability: Deserialization of Untrusted Data
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could lead to remote code execution.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Keysight reports this vulnerability affects the following data analytics web service software:
- N8844A Data Analytics Web Service: Version 2.1.7351 and prior
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Keysight N8844A Data Analytics Web Service deserializes untrusted data without sufficiently verifying the resulting data will be valid.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Communications, Government
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
An anonymous researcher working with Trend Micro Zero Day Initiative reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Keysight N8844A Data Analytics Web Service is discontinued and is no longer available to download. Keysight made available a replacement product that is not vulnerable to the ZDI discovered exploit.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.