GE Digital CIMPLICITY
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity
- Vendor: GE Digital
- Equipment: CIMPLICITY
- Vulnerability: Process Control
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow a low-privileged local attacker to escalate privileges to SYSTEM.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following GE products are affected:
GE Digital CIMPLICITY: v2023
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
3.2.1 PROCESS CONTROL CWE-114
GE CIMPLICITY 2023 is by a process control vulnerability, which could allow a local attacker to insert malicious configuration files in the expected web server execution path to escalate privileges and gain full control of the HMI software.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Multiple Sectors
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
Michael Heinzl reported this vulnerability to CISA.
GE Digital recommends users apply the following mitigations:
Update CIMPLICITY to v2023 SIM 1 (login is required)
Please refer to GE Digital’s security bulletin (login is required) for more information.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as virtual private networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
- Exercise principles of least privilege.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploitation specifically targeting this vulnerability has been reported to CISA at this time. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.