1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 6.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Advantech
- Equipment: WebAccess
- Vulnerability: Exposure of Sensitive Information to an Unauthorized Actor
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could leak user credentials.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Advantech WebAccess, are affected:
- Advantech WebAccess: Version 9.1.3.
3.2 Vulnerability Overview
Advantech WebAccess Version 9.1.3 could expose user credentials to an unauthorized actor. When configuring or modifying account information on the device, an unauthorized actor can use the Cloud Agent Debug service to capture user credentials.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Taiwan
Elcazators reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Advantech recommends users update WebAccess to Version 9.1.4.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability, such as:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, ensuring they are not accessible from the internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolating them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use more secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
CISA encourages organizations to implement recommended cybersecurity strategies for proactive defense of ICS assets.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploitation specifically targeting this vulnerability has been reported to CISA at this time.
5. UPDATE HISTORY
- October 12, 2023: Initial Publication