Weintek EasyBuilder Pro
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Weintek
- Equipment: EasyBuilder Pro
- Vulnerability: Use of Hard-coded Credentials
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to obtain remote control of a victim's computer as a privileged user.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Weintek products are affected:
- EasyBuilder Pro: Versions prior to v6.07.02
- EasyBuilder Pro: Versions 6.08.01.592 and prior
- EasyBuilder Pro: Versions 6.08.02.470 and prior
3.2 Vulnerability Overview
The affected product contains a vulnerability that, even when the private key is immediately deleted after the crash report transmission is finished, the private key is exposed to the public, which could result in obtaining remote control of the crash report server.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Taiwan
Hank Chen (PSIRT and Threat Research of TXOne Networks) reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Weintek recommends users apply the following mitigations:
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability, such as:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, ensuring they are not accessible from the internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolating them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use more secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
CISA encourages organizations to implement recommended cybersecurity strategies for proactive defense of ICS assets.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploitation specifically targeting this vulnerability has been reported to CISA at this time.
5. UPDATE HISTORY
- November 2, 2023: Initial Publication