1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.0
- Vendor: Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)
- Equipment: Pyxis
- Vulnerability: Use of Hard-coded Credentials
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to gain access to electronic protected health information (ePHI) or other sensitive information.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following BD Pyxis products, an automated medication dispensing system, are affected:
- BD Pyxis Anesthesia Station ES
- BD Pyxis Anesthesia Station 4000
- BD Pyxis CATO
- BD Pyxis CIISafe
- BD Pyxis Inventory Connect
- BD Pyxis IV Prep
- BD Pyxis JITrBUD
- BD Pyxis KanBan RF
- BD Pyxis Logistics
- BD Pyxis Med Link Family
- BD Pyxis MedBank
- BD Pyxis MedStation 4000
- BD Pyxis MedStation ES
- BD Pyxis MedStation ES Server
- BD Pyxis ParAssist
- BD Pyxis PharmoPack
- BD Pyxis ProcedureStation (including EC)
- BD Pyxis Rapid Rx
- BD Pyxis StockStation
- BD Pyxis SupplyCenter
- BD Pyxis SupplyRoller
- BD Pyxis SupplyStation (including RF, EC, CP)
- BD Pyxis Track and Deliver
- BD Rowa Pouch Packaging Systems
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
3.2.1 USE OF HARD-CODED CREDENTIALS CWE-798
The affected product is vulnerable due to the use of hard-coded credentials, which may allow threat actors to gain access to the underlying file system and exploit application files for information that could be used to decrypt application credentials or gain access to electronic protected health information (ePHI) or other sensitive information. Credentials are BD managed and are not visible to or used by customers to access or use BD Pyxis devices.
CVE-2022-22766 has been assigned to this vulnerability. A CVSS v3 base score of 7.0 has been calculated; the CVSS vector string is (AV:L/AC:H/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H).
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Healthcare and Public Health
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
BD voluntarily reported this vulnerability to CISA.
BD is in the process of strengthening credential management capabilities in BD Pyxis devices.
Additionally, BD recommends the following compensating controls for users of BD Pyxis products that utilize the hard-coded credentials:
- Limit physical access to the device to only authorized personnel.
- Tightly control management of BD Pyxis system credentials provided to authorized users.
- Isolate affected products in a secure VLAN or behind firewalls with restricted access that only permits communication with trusted hosts in other networks when needed.
- Monitor and log all network traffic attempting to reach the affected products for suspicious activity.
- Work with a BD support team to ensure all patching and virus definitions are up to date. The Pyxis Security Module for automated patching and virus definition management is provided to all accounts.
For more information on this issue, please see the associated BD product security bulletin on the BD website.
For product or site-specific concerns, contact your BD service representative.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely. This vulnerability has a high attack complexity.
Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)