Santesoft Sante DICOM Viewer Pro
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity
- Vendor: Santesoft
- Equipment: Sante DICOM Viewer Pro
- Vulnerabilities: Out-of-bounds Write, Stack-based Buffer Overflow
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to disclose information and execute arbitrary code.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following Santesoft products are affected:
- Sante DICOM Viewer Pro: v12.2.4 and prior
3.2 Vulnerability Overview
Sante DICOM Viewer Pro lacks proper validation of user-supplied data when parsing DICOM files. This could lead to an out-of-bounds write. An attacker could leverage this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code in the context of the current process.
Sante DICOM Viewer Pro lacks proper validation of user-supplied data when parsing DICOM files. This could lead to a stack-based buffer overflow. An attacker could leverage this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code in the context of the current process.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Healthcare and Public Health
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Cyprus
Michael Heinzl reported these vulnerabilities to CISA.
Santesoft released an updated version of their product and recommends updating Sante DICOM Viewer Pro to v12.2.6.
CISA also recommends users take the following measures to protect themselves from social engineering attacks:
- Do not click web links or open attachments in unsolicited email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of these vulnerabilities. CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
CISA encourages organizations to implement recommended cybersecurity strategies for proactive defense of ICS assets.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploitation specifically targeting these vulnerabilities has been reported to CISA at this time. These vulnerabilities are not exploitable remotely.
5. UPDATE HISTORY
- October 12, 2023: Initial Publication