All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.8
- ATTENTION: Low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: TIA Portal
- Vulnerability: Path Traversal
2. UPDATE INFORMATION
This updated advisory is a follow-up to the advisory update titled ICSA-20-014-05 Siemens TIA Portal (Update C) that was published December 16, 2021, on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics.
3. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow a local attacker to execute arbitrary code with SYSTEM privileges.
4. TECHNICAL DETAILS
4.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of TIA Portal, the Totally Integrated Automation Portal, are affected:
- TIA Portal v14: All versions
--------- Begin Update D Part 1 of 2 ---------
- TIA Portal v15: All versions prior to v15.1 Update 7
--------- End Update D Part 1 of 2 ---------
- TIA Portal v16: All versions
- TIA Portal v17: All versions
4.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Changing the contents of a configuration file could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code with SYSTEM privileges. This vulnerability could be exploited by an attacker with a valid account and limited access rights on the system. No user interaction is required.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Chemical, Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Food and Agriculture, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
\William Knowles from Applied Risk reported this vulnerability to Siemens.
--------- Begin Update D Part 2 of 2 ---------
Siemens recommends users update TIA Portal v15 v15.1 Update 7 or later
--------- End Update D Part 2 of 2 ---------
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations users can apply to reduce the risk:
- Remove write permissions for every non-administrative user on files and folders located below the “TraceEngine” folder (usually located at “C:\ProgramData\Siemens\Automation”).
- A partially working fix for Native Language Windows Versions in English or Multilingual User Interface (MUI) Windows Installation was included in TIA Portal Versions v14 SP1 Update 10, v15 SP1 Update 4, v16 Update 1, and v17.
- For more information on this vulnerability and more detailed mitigation instructions, please see Siemens security advisory SSA-629512
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends users protect network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends users configure the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for Industrial Security, and follow the recommendations in the product manuals.
Additional information on industrial security by Siemens can be found at: https://www.siemens.com/industrialsecurity
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on cisa.gov/ics. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.