All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SIMATIC PCS 7, SIMATIC WinCC, SIMATIC NET PC
- Vulnerability: Incorrect Calculation of Buffer Size
2. UPDATE INFORMATION
This updated advisory is a follow-up to the advisory update titled 20-042-06 Siemens SIMATIC PCS 7, SIMATIC WinCC, and SIMATIC NET PC (Update F) that was published January 12, 2021, on the ICS webpage on www.cisa.gov/uscert.
3. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker with network access to cause a denial-of-service condition.
4. TECHNICAL DETAILS
4.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of SIMATIC software are affected:
- OpenPCS 7 v8.1: all versions
- OpenPCS 7 v8.2: all versions
- OpenPCS 7 v9.0: all versions prior to v9.0 Upd3
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.1: all versions
- SIMATIC BATCH v8.2: all versions
- SIMATIC BATCH v9.0: all versions prior to v9.0 SP1 Upd5
--------- Begin Update G Part 1 of 2 ---------
- SIMATIC NET PC Software v14: All versions prior to v14 SP1 Update 14
- SIMATIC NET PC Software v15: All versions
- SIMATIC NET PC Software v16: All versions prior to v16 Update 1
--------- End Update G Part 1 of 2 ---------
- SIMATIC NET PC Software: all versions prior to v16 update 1
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.1: all versions
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.2: all versions
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v9.0: all versions prior to v9.0 SP3
- SIMATIC Route Control v8.1: all versions
- SIMATIC Route Control v8.2: all versions
- SIMATIC Route Control v9.0: all versions prior to v9.0 Upd4
- SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v13: all versions prior to v13 SP2
- SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v14: all versions
- SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v15.1: all versions prior to v15.1 Update 5
- SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v16: all versions prior to v16 Update 1
- SIMATIC WinCC v7.3: all versions
- SIMATIC WinCC v7.4: all versions prior to v7.4 SP1 Update 14
- SIMATIC WinCC v7.5: all versions prior to v7.5.1 Upd1
4.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Through specially crafted messages, when encrypted communication is enabled, an attacker with network access could compromise the availability of the system by causing a denial-of-service condition.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Chemical, Critical Manufacturing, Energy, Food and Agriculture, Water and Wastewater Systems
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Nicholas Miles from Tenable reported this vulnerability to Siemens.
Siemens has released updates for several affected products and recommends that customers update to the latest version(s). Siemens is preparing further updates and recommends specific countermeasures until patches are available.
- For SIMATIC NET PC Software: update to v16 update 1 or higher
- For SIMATIC PCS 7 v9.0: update to v9.0 SP3 (Includes OpenPCS 7 v9.0 Upd3, SIMATIC Batch v9.0 Upd5, SIMATIC Route Control v9.0 Upd4). To obtain this update, contact Siemens customer service.
- For SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v13: update to v13 SP2 or higher
- For SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v14: update to v14 SP1 Update 10 or higher
--------- Begin Update G Part 2 of 2 ---------
- SIMATIC NET PC Software v14: Update to v14 SP1 Update 14 or later
- SIMATIC NET PC Software v16: Update to v16 Update 1 or later
- SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.2: Update to v8.2 SP1; then update WinCC to v7.4 SP1 Update 14 or later version on the same system. To obtain SIMATIC PCS 7 v8.2 SP1 contact your local support.
--------- End Update G Part 2 of 2 ---------
- For SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v15.1: update to v15.1 Update 5 or later version
- For SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal) v16: update to v16 update 1 or higher
- For SIMATIC WinCC v7.4: update to v7.4 SP1 Update 14 or higher
- For SIMATIC WinCC v7.5: update to v7.5.1 Upd1 or higher
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations:
- Apply cell protection concept
- Use VPN for protecting network communication between cells
- Apply defense-in-depth
For more information on this vulnerability and associated software updates, please see Siemens security advisory SSA-270778
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.