All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 8.0
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SIMATIC MV500 Devices
- Vulnerabilities: Insufficient Session Expiration, Missing Authentication for Critical Function
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow attackers to hijack other users’ web-based management sessions or access data on the device without prior authentication.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of SIMATIC MV500 Devices, Optical Readers, are affected:
- SIMATIC MV540 H (6GF3540-0GE10): All versions prior to v3.3
- SIMATIC MV540 S (6GF3540-0CD10): All versions prior to v3.3
- SIMATIC MV550 H (6GF3550-0GE10): All versions prior to v3.3
- SIMATIC MV550 S (6GF3550-0CD10): All versions prior to v3.3
- SIMATIC MV560 U (6GF3560-0LE10): All versions prior to v3.3
- SIMATIC MV560 X (6GF3560-0HE10): All versions prior to v3.3
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The web session management of affected devices does not invalidate session IDs in certain logout scenarios. This could allow an authenticated remote attacker to hijack other users’ sessions.
Affected devices do not perform authentication for several web API endpoints. This could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to read and download data from the device.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported these vulnerabilities to CISA.
Siemens recommends updating to the latest version of its software:
- SIMATIC MV540 H: Update to v3.3 or later
- SIMATIC MV540 S: Update to v3.3 or later
- SIMATIC MV550 H: Update to v3.3 or later
- SIMATIC MV550 S: Update to v3.3 or later
- SIMATIC MV560 U: Update to v3.3 or later
- SIMATIC MV560 X: Update to v3.3 or later
As a general security measure, Siemens recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. To operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends configuring the environment according to Siemens’ Operational Guidelines for Industrial Security and following recommendations in the product manuals.
Additional information on industrial security by Siemens can be found on the Siemens industrial security webpage.
For more information, see Siemens Security Advisory SSA-348662.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.