All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.6
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: Opcenter Quality
- Vulnerability: Incorrect Implementation of Authentication Algorithm.
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow unauthenticated access to the application or cause denial of service condition for existing users.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
Siemens reports this vulnerability affects the following quality management systems:
- Opcenter Quality V13.1: All versions prior to v13.1.20220624
- Opcenter Quality V13.2: All versions prior to v13.2.20220624
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected applications do not properly validate login information during authentication. This could lead to denial-of-service condition for existing users or allow unauthenticated remote attackers to successfully login without credentials.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Siemens has released updates for the affected products and recommends updating to the latest versions:
- Opcenter Quality V13.1: Update to v13.1.20220624 or later version.
- Opcenter Quality V13.2: Update to v13.2.20220624 or later version.
Siemens recommends implementing the following specific workarounds and mitigations that customers can apply to reduce the risk:
- Solutions with configuration as Encryted=2 in ibs.config are potentially impacted by this vulnerability. If problems exist and an immediate replacement of IbsGailWrapper-DLLs is NOT possible, please contact your support-team to change the secure mode of your installation
- For all other cases it is recommended to replace the IbsGailWrapper-DLLs for short-term
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends configuring the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for industrial security and following recommendations in the product manuals to help foster a secure environment.
Additional information on industrial security by Siemens can be found at: https://www.siemens.com/industrialsecurity
For more information on this vulnerability and associated software updates, please see Siemens security advisory SSA-944952
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.