All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.3
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SINUMERIK ONE and SINUMERIK MC
- Vulnerability: Insufficiently Protected Credentials
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow attackers to discover the private key of a given CPU product family via an offline attack against a single CPU from the family. Attackers could then use this knowledge to extract confidential configuration data from projects.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of SINUMERIK CNC systems are affected:
- SINUMERIK ONE All Versions
- SINUMERIK MC All Versions
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
All versions of Siemens SINUMERIK ONE and SINUMERIK MC use an insecure method to store authentication credentials, which are therefore susceptible to being retrieved.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Siemens identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations that customers can apply to reduce the risk:
- Expose the communication between the S7-1500 CPU and the HMI of the affected products only to trusted network environments.
- Protect access to the TIA Portal project and SINUMERIK NCU (including related memory cards) from unauthorized actors.
As a general security measure, Siemens recommends protecting network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends configuring the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for industrial security and following the recommendations in the product manuals.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability these vulnerabilities. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.