All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 7.5
- ATTENTION: Low attack complexity/public exploits are available
- Vendor: Black Box
- Equipment: KVM Switches and Extenders
- Vulnerability: Path Traversal
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to read sensitive data on the built-in web servers of the affected devices.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following models and versions of Black Box KVMs, a Keyboard/Video/Mouse switch and extender, are affected:
- Black Box KVM ACR1000A-R-R2: Firmware version v3.4.31307
- Black Box KVM ACR1000A-T-R2: Firmware version v3.4.31307
- Black Box KVM ACR1002A-T: Firmware version v3.4.31307
- Black Box KVM ACR1002A-R: Firmware version v3.4.31307
- Black Box KVM ACR1020A-T: Firmware version v3.4.31307
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
Black Box KVM Firmware version 3.4.31307 on models ACR1000A-R-R2, ACR1000A-T-R2, ACR1002A-T, ACR1002A-R, and ACR1020A-T is vulnerable to path traversal, which may allow an attacker to steal user credentials and other sensitive information through local file inclusion.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Multiple
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: India
CISA discovered a public Proof of Concept (PoC) as authored by Ferhat Çil and reported it to Black Box.
Black Box has provided an update to the firmware to mitigate this vulnerability and recommends all users update products to the latest versions:
- Black Box KVM ACR1000A-R-R2: Update to firmware v3.6 or later
- Black Box KVM ACR1000A-T-R2: Update to firmware v3.6 or later
- Black Box KVM ACR1002A-T: Update to firmware v3.6 or later
- Black Box KVM ACR1002A-R: Update to firmware v3.6 or later
- Black Box KVM ACR1020A-T: Update to firmware v3.6 or later
Black Box recommends users seek advice from third-party equipment or software package(s) vendors to evaluate if this vulnerability impacts third-party equipment/software.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.