All information products included in https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics are provided "as is" for informational purposes only. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DHS does not endorse any commercial product or service, referenced in this product or otherwise. Further dissemination of this product is governed by the Traffic Light Protocol (TLP) marking in the header. For more information about TLP, see https://us-cert.cisa.gov/tlp/.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 5.3
- Vendor: Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)
- Equipment: BodyGuard Pumps
- Vulnerability: Missing Protection Mechanism for Alternate Hardware Interface
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to change configuration settings or disable the pump.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following BD BodyGuard products are affected:
- BD BodyGuard
- CME BodyGuard 323 (2nd Edition)
- CME BodyGuard 323 Color Vision (2nd Edition)
- CME BodyGuard 323 Color Vision (3rd Edition)
- CME BodyGuard Twins (2nd Edition)
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected BD BodyGuard infusion pumps allow for access through the RS-232 (serial) port interface. If exploited, threat actors with physical access and specialized equipment and knowledge could configure or disable the pump. No electronic protected health information (ePHI), protected health information (PHI), or personally identifiable information (PII) is stored in the pump.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Healthcare and Public Health
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Deployed outside the U.S
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: United States
BD reported this vulnerability to CISA.
BD recommends the following mitigations to reduce risk associated with this vulnerability:
- Ensure physical access controls are in place to ensure only authorized users have access to the affected product.
- Ensure only BD-approved equipment is connected to the RS-232 interface of the affected pumps.
- When the affected pumps are delivering infusions, ensure no equipment is connected to the RS-232 interface.
- Protect connected computer systems with BodyComm software with standard security measures.
For additional information, users should see BD’s security bulletin.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls and isolate them from business networks.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics. Several CISA products detailing cyber defense best practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage at cisa.gov/ics in the technical information paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing suspected malicious activity should follow established internal procedures and report findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability. This vulnerability is not exploitable remotely. This vulnerability has a high attack complexity.
For any questions related to this report, please contact the CISA at:
Toll Free: 1-888-282-0870
CISA continuously strives to improve its products and services. You can help by choosing one of the links below to provide feedback about this product.
Please share your thoughts.
We recently updated our anonymous product survey; we'd welcome your feedback.