The Critical Manufacturing Sector is crucial to the economic prosperity and continuity of the United States. A direct attack on or disruption of certain elements of the manufacturing industry could disrupt essential functions at the national level and across multiple critical infrastructure sectors.
The Critical Manufacturing Sector identified several industries to serve as the core of the sector:
- Primary Metals Manufacturing
- Iron and Steel Mills and Ferro Alloy Manufacturing
- Alumina and Aluminum Production and Processing
- Nonferrous Metal Production and Processing
- Machinery Manufacturing
- Engine and Turbine Manufacturing
- Power Transmission Equipment Manufacturing
- Earth Moving, Mining, Agricultural, and Construction Equipment Manufacturing
- Electrical Equipment, Appliance, and Component Manufacturing
- Electric Motor Manufacturing
- Transformer Manufacturing
- Generator Manufacturing
- Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
- Vehicles and Commercial Ships Manufacturing
- Aerospace Products and Parts Manufacturing
- Locomotives, Railroad and Transit Cars, and Rail Track Equipment Manufacturing
Products made by these manufacturing industries are essential to many other critical infrastructure sectors. The Critical Manufacturing Sector focuses on the identification, assessment, prioritization, and protection of nationally significant manufacturing industries within the sector that may be susceptible to manmade and natural disasters.
The Critical Manufacturing Sector-Specific Plan details how the National Infrastructure Protection Plan risk management framework is implemented within the context of the sector's unique characteristics and risk landscape. Each sector-specific agency develops a sector-specific plan through a coordinated effort involving its public and private sector partners. The Department of Homeland Security is the sector-specific agency for the Critical Manufacturing Sector.
Critical Manufacturing Resources
DHS offers a variety of Critical Manufacturing Sector resources created specifically for stakeholders, owners, and operators.
For more information, please contact the Sector-Specific Agency at firstname.lastname@example.org.