Statewide Communication Interoperability Plans (SCIPs) are locally-driven, multi-jurisdictional, and multi-disciplinary statewide plans to enhance emergency communications. The SCIP creates a single resource for all stakeholders and a unified approach for enhancing interoperable communications for public safety and officials at all levels of government. SCIPs define the current and future direction for interoperable and emergency communications within a state or territory.
SCIPs are comprehensive plans which outline the:
- Current and future interoperable and emergency communications environment;
- Goals with specific steps for action (including owners and completion timeframes);
- Defined mechanisms to measure achievements; and,
- Process by which the state will record progress and challenges each year.
The SCIP structure is designed to demonstrate accomplishments and challenges and define the strategic direction and priorities in the state or territory for the next three to five years. SCIPs focus on the strategic direction and alignment of all emergency communications (voice and data) in the state, and include all forms of related technology and a broader community of stakeholders. They are living documents that should be updated on an as needed basis.
For more information on SCIPs, please contact ECD@cisa.dhs.gov
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) supports states and territories in the implementation of their SCIPs by providing SCIP workshops. During the workshops, state and local representatives gather to discuss communications gaps and ways to implement SCIP initiatives. The SCIP Implementation Workshops are participatory and hands-on, and focus on the specific needs and priorities of each state and territory. The Fiscal Year 2015 SCIP workshop focus areas include (but are not limited to):
- Statewide Interoperability Governing Body (SIGB) Enhancement or Strengthening Governance,
- Establishing Regional Governance,
- Sustainable Funding Identification, and
- Developing a Communications Outreach Plan.
For additional information on requesting a SCIP workshop, contact TARequest@cisa.dhs.gov.