The Pathways Internship Program offers current students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions to work for the Federal government while completing their education. These internships provide a path to careers at CISA and allow qualifying individuals the opportunity to gain meaningful training and career development experience. Once onboarded, interns work either part-time or full-time until their graduation date. Upon graduation, interns may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a permanent position.
CISA offers internships targeted towards business/mission and administrative support, cyber and IT, and human resources. Explore these opportunities!
- Business, Mission, & Admin Support Interns
CISA's business, mission and administrative support interns represent students from a wide variety of degree programs and career interests. Students perform duties in business administration, business management, office management, finance and accounting, communications, security and risk analysis, program management, and/or project management. Students may be placed in a wide variety of offices with differing functions across the agency. Duties and assignments will reflect the mission and the work of the assigned office and may be focused on traditional business/management support functions or may be focused on mission support functions related to the security of critical or digital infrastructure. Students from a wide variety of degrees are encouraged to apply!
- Cyber and IT Student Interns
CISA's cyber interns work on projects that are cybersecurity-focused and expose the student to practical application of the principles, concepts, work processes, methods, techniques, regulations, reference materials, and procedures fundamental of Information Security (INFOSEC) and cybersecurity. Students studying (or will be) cybersecurity, computer science, information assurance, information technology management, or a similar degree that requires the development or adaptation of computer applications and/or systems are encouraged to apply.
- Human Resources Student Interns
CISA's HR interns assist senior HR specialists in all areas of federal human resource management, with focus on one of the following specialty areas: recruitment, hiring, writing position descriptions, talent acquisition, workforce planning, executive resources, workforce support programs, payroll, employee training and development, HR information systems, benefits, policy and programs, or employee and labor relations. Students studying human resources, business management or marketing are encouraged to apply!
- Internship Eligibility Requirements
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Minimum age is 16
- Transcripts are required. Unofficial transcripts are accepted
- Must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 throughout the internship
- Must be an enrolled student at both the time of application AND at the time the internship begins to meet eligibility requirements; must remain at least a part-time student throughout the internship
- Must be able to work 640 hours (equivalent to 4 full-time months) prior to graduation to be eligible for a post-graduation position
- Ability to obtain and maintain up to a Secret level security clearance
- How to Apply
Applications are accepted through individual internship announcements that are posted twice a year (Spring and Fall) on USAJOBs.
Click "apply" on the job announcement, attach your relevant documents, answer a few questions, and click submit. Once you apply, you may also receive an automated email (check your junk box!) with instructions to submit a longer USAHire Assessment.
To receive email notifications when new CISA positions are announced, set up a "saved search" with keyword "Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency."
Still have questions about our internship opportunities? We’re here to help! Contact our team of recruiters who are happy to give you further guidance.
- Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find Events: CISA Hiring & Career Events
- Stay Connected: Handshake, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube
Sign up to receive career news and updates directly to your email.