The Chemical Security Assessment Tool (CSAT) is an online portal that houses the surveys facilities must submit so the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can determine which facilities are considered high-risk under the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS).
In September 2016, CSAT 2.0 was released in conjunction with the CFATS enhanced tiering methodology to improve integration between surveys and to more appropriately identify and tier high-risk chemical facilities. CSAT 2.0 consists of the revised and streamlined Top-Screen, SVA, and SSP surveys.
Visit the CSAT SSP Revisions webpage to learn more about the CSAT 2.0 updates to the SVA and SSP surveys.
Register to Access CSAT
CSAT is a secure web-based system that can only be accessed by Chemical-terrorism Vulnerability Information (CVI) certified individuals. After completing CVI training, facilities should register for a user identification and password on the CSAT website. The Department will validate a facility's registration and notify the facility on how to access CSAT.
Facilities can then login to CSAT to complete the Top-Screen survey. The information a facility submits in the Top-Screen is used by the Department to determine if they are considered a high-risk chemical facility covered by CFATS.
If a facility is considered high-risk, the SVA and SSP surveys will unlock in their CSAT account.
Submit a Top-Screen in CSAT 2.0
- Check CSAT account. Log in to your CSAT account and select the “Update My Information” link to confirm that all information is correct and up-to-date. If you are unable to access your account, please contact the CFATS Help Desk at (866) 323-2957.
- Review the updated CSAT 2.0 user manuals. Become more familiar with CSAT 2.0 with the CSAT 2.0 Portal User Manual and the CSAT 2.0 Survey Application User Manual.
- Review the updated Top-Screen Instructions and SVA/SSP Instructions.
- Contact the CFATS Help Desk. Call (866) 323-2957 or find a CFATS Compliance Case Manager or your local Chemical Security Inspector by emailing CFATS@hq.dhs.gov.
- Learn more. Read the implementation notice published in the Federal Register.
Update CSAT Account Information
To ensure that a facility continues to receive CFATS and CSAT communications, the Department encourages individuals to log into CSAT and select the “Update My Information” link to confirm that all information is correct and up-to-date. This tool allows individuals to edit information entered during CSAT registration, and may be used to:
- Update personal information (address, phone number, etc.)
- Change password
- Transfer responsibilities to another CSAT user
Note: If you have more than one username, please remember to update the information associated with each one.
- CSAT 2.0 Personnel Surety Program Instructions
- CSAT 2.0 Portal User Manual
- CSAT 2.0 Survey Application User Manual
- CSAT 2.0 SVA/SSP Instructions
- CSAT 2.0 Top-Screen Instructions
Visit the CFATS Knowledge Center for an online repository of FAQs, articles, and the latest news related to the CFATS program.
If you have additional questions, please call the CFATS Help Desk at 866-323-2957 Monday through Friday (except federal holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET).